22 Sep 2015

GLASSHOUSE AND TREE



























Palm House at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, South Australia. An exquisite restored Victorian glasshouse imported from Bremen in Germany in 1875 and thought to be the only one of its kind in the world. It was opened in 1877 and has been a focus in the gardens since that time. The hanging glass walls are similar to those used in modern city buildings today and were very advanced for the time. This technical sophistication and Adelaide's dry climate probably account for the Palm House's survival with a remarkably high degree of originality. Restoration was begun in 1986 to restore it to its former glory and it now houses a display of Madagascan arid flora. [link]