7 Jun 2015

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER
























Old, preserved and now disused Jervois Bridge gantry at Port Adelaide, South Australia. Openend in 1878, the bridge over the Port River was fabricated from iron components and featured a central ‘swing’ span mounted on a turntable that could be rotated 90 degrees to allow vessels to pass through the bridge. This operation was controlled from a wooden tower mounted on a steel gantry that crossed the bridge laterally along its central pier. The bridge was closed and replaced in 1966 with a concrete structure and the gantry which has been relocated nearby is now the only part that remains. [link]