Avoca is located in the Pyrenees Ranges in Victoria, Australia. Like many other Victorian towns, Avoca sprang into being suddenly in the 1850s with the discovery of gold. In 1853 gold was found nearby and the main lead at Avoca was opened up a few months later. The population suddenly increased from 100 to 16,000 the following year and Avoca became regarded as one of Victoria's more important gold rush districts. For the last decades of the nineteenth century most miners no longer worked individually or in small teams but for larger companies working deep leads. By 1895 most mines were closed because they were uneconomical and agriculture and pastoralism became prevalent in the district.
The former bank depicted here in the town's High Street was built in 1912 and now serves as an antique furniture shop. [link]