11 Sep 2011

THE LUMINOUS LANDSCAPE

A group of derelict farm buildings on Fleurieu Peninsula in South Australia. It was an overcast day but I wanted to shoot them from different angles, including the interiors. They were all vacant except for a community of pigeons that had taken over - they scattered, flew up, re-grouped and circled while I was present. I liked the character of the vernacular, rustic architecture, now in weathered tatters, so I spent quite a while trying different angles. The low level and eveness of light available on overcast days can be a bonus for digital photography because highlights and contrasts are minimal. Exposures are not as demanding for sensors, allowing for greater scope for processing raw data and subsequent processing.
These shots were originally edited in full colour, but I soon realised that they worked better, producing a more timeless feeling and stark appearance when converted to duotones. [link 1] [link 2] [link 3]