21 Nov 2015
8 Nov 2015
Defunct copper mine at Burra, South Australia. Copper was discovered at Burra by shepherds in 1845 and by the end of the decade it had its own mine, smelters and a population of 5000 people. Burra mine was world famous for the richness of its copper ores and for the first ten years of its life was the largest mine in Australia. Wealth from the mine made fortunes for many of its original shareholders and its discovery marked the beginning of a period of unprecedented growth and prosperity for South Australia. At first, all mining took place under-ground. Open cut operation began in 1870 in an attempt to extract lower grade ore profitably, however low copper prices forced the mine closure in 1877.
The mine remained abandoned for nearly a century until open cut mining started again in 1971 and continued until exhaustion of ore in 1981. It is now a major tourist attraction in the area. [link]
Posted by chromatic vista at 7:10 a.m.
24 Oct 2015
15 Oct 2015
11 Oct 2015
3 Oct 2015
Abandoned copper mine at Burra, South Australia. Copper was discovered here by shepherds in 1845 and by the end of the decade it had its own mine, smelters and a population of 5000 people. The mine produced high grade copper until 1877 when falling world copper prices and the high cost of running the mine resulted in it being closed. [link]
Posted by chromatic vista at 11:32 a.m.
2 Oct 2015
Hamley Bridge is a beautiful small town situated in a picturesque valley surrounded by some of the richest farming land on the Adelaide Plains in South Australia. This image depicts the main street with many of it's old buildings well preserved, some dating from the first part of the 20th century and earlier. [link]
Posted by chromatic vista at 7:12 a.m.
22 Sep 2015
Palm House at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, South Australia. An exquisite restored Victorian glasshouse imported from Bremen in Germany in 1875 and thought to be the only one of its kind in the world. It was opened in 1877 and has been a focus in the gardens since that time. The hanging glass walls are similar to those used in modern city buildings today and were very advanced for the time. This technical sophistication and Adelaide's dry climate probably account for the Palm House's survival with a remarkably high degree of originality. Restoration was begun in 1986 to restore it to its former glory and it now houses a display of Madagascan arid flora. [link]
Posted by chromatic vista at 4:50 p.m.
10 Sep 2015
The former Adelaide Milling Company mill site at Port Adelaide was the longest continuously serving flour milling enterprise in South Australia, operating from 1855 to 1980. Hart's Mill is the oldest building on the site having been completed in 1855 and was the largest and most technologically advanced mill in the state. It was designed to create an export market for the State's produce, and successfully shipped flour all over the world. It now sits derelict awaiting redevelopment. All it needs is a developer who is cashed up and an architect with a bit of imagination. Unfortunately those two ingredients don't seem to be found in combination here. [link]
Posted by chromatic vista at 12:41 p.m.